Which is better ?

Krankie882

Banned
May 6, 2012
North wales
I have a apple tv2 jailbroken and xbmc installed with all the major plugins. But just purchased a apple tv 1st gen with crystal hd card and Ubuntu installed , any thoughts on this , all input will be gratefully taken in to consideration as to which one I keep as my main media player

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
My honest opinion... it depends on two things:

1) does the device need to be wireless for internet connection?
2) Do you need MIRRORING for iOS devices.

ATV1 w/ card is the best device i have! Hands Down. If you install with CRYTALBUNTU it is seriousl amazing. but the card removes wifi access for the device. So, it must have an ethernet cable to work.

If you need MIRRORING it must be the ATV2 or higher as this is not going to be functioning on the ATV1, though with crystalbuntu the ATV1 will have Airplay and Airtunes working fully.

ATV1-canada

May 13, 2012
also have the ATV 1 with crystalbuntu .. hands down the best.

as well most of my extended family have the same

Krankie882

Banned
May 6, 2012
North wales
Getting it tomorrow , really looking forward to trying it out , I always have my atv connected via Ethernet do I won't miss the wi fi , and rarely use it to mirror from my iPad / iPhone so won't miss this feature :)

Krankie882

Banned
May 6, 2012
North wales
Couple of issues , get a weird sound from my amp when selecting a dts movie ( like a boom or popping sound ) also I know I cannot power down ie put to sleep like apple tv 2 , what settings should I set to optimise and reduce heat when not in use ( power saving ) thanks for any tips / help in advance

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
Does the boom/pop only happen from the ATV? It's common for that to happen when the amp isn't grounded well (but it would do it on any source). If that's the case, you'll want a power line conditioner