which ouya version has updated wifi?

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
yes the black one has the 16gb and the upgraded wifi however now they are making the regular 8gb ouya in black (anthracite?). I just saw them in Target and I just had to study the box. I think there are very few on the used market with the good wifi. Your truly has one and will never part with it. I see them on fleabay from time to time but they are very overpriced. I think I paid like $139 for my black one when they first came out, it was a big deal. I treasure that one, that's a keeper!

Good Luck!

Last edited:

wantboost

Aug 11, 2013
so does the 8gb black have upgraded wifi?
also how comes ouyas site only sells the old/silver one?

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
No, 8gb black or silver does not have upgraded wifi, only the 16gb black one. It was a special edition and quickly sold out. Ill sell you mine for 250 dollars If you want.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Updated WiFi??? That's some dissapointing and kind of irritating info? I just bought one for my son (black 8gb) How bad are we talking? The WiFi in my house is great except for one room--yes my son's. Figures....
He has a pluglink Ethernet for his bedroom but uses it for Xbox.
Also, setting it up I was kind of annoyed ouya demands payment info before you start. All I wanted was to setup kodi and some emulators before Xmas. I bought him a preloaded card but thought it was lame after paying 100 bucks I needed to give them my credit card before trying it. Now I'm learning there may possibly be other obstacles.?
Can anyone give me a idea how bad the WiFi is? Works ok in my basement but it needs to work well in his room.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Klit you need to do your homework before you buy, lol. Its a well known fact the 8gb models had a weak wifi response, how Bad? You have to use trial and error for yourself. There are two ways I know of to get around this, I used one myself, its a belkin (you can use any brand) wifi extender, I bought one for twenty bucks on shopgoodwill. The other is a ethernet box that uses the house wiring as a medium, and you plug It into an electrical outlet. I totally forget the trade name for this but they supposedly work even better, and you would be actually plugging in the ouyas Ethernet port.

For the credit card just use fakenamegenerator.

This stuff is well documented in the ouya forum and probably touched on a little bit in this forum too.

Once upon a time the ouya was as popular as the amazon fire tv here in this forum.

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
The thing is I did come across threads about the WiFi shortfall. But thought there's no way it'd be an issue on units that were just put on the shelves less than 2 weeks ago. If it was fixed, in my mind, I'm buying the fixed item because I'm presumably buying the newest one through one of ouya's retailers. And btw--the black 8gb was the only one I've seen in my local stores. I'm normally pretty thorough in researching before I buy but after all the time here & on other android sites, my general view was it's a solid product.
I'm not upset about the cc because I don't have a payment source. I put my card in. It's more the principle. I've owned locked down products by Apple, Microsoft, Sony and Amazon--ouya is the the first to sort of hold everything hostage until you show you can pay more. Given its advertising from kickstarter and some other places, I got the impression it was like the video game version of a hippie among fascists. Instead I saw something more akin to Apple's 1984 super bowl ad (over the top hypocritical)
All that said...I'm enjoying playing around with it very much! First impressions aren't always meaningful. But if this WiFi is a serious issue my son might decide he wants to return it. I just spent nearly 400 bucks improving my home network. It's crazy fast but in an old house there's the weak spot. I got him the adapter. There's just no way I can justify paying for more equipment to make what will be the newest device in my house work properly. But we'll see. Maybe it'll work fine. Speed tests in his room max out aroung 40 mbs but some devices don't pull in those speeds. If ouyas halfway decent it'll get half that which should be fast enough.

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
Updated WiFi??? That's some dissapointing and kind of irritating info? I just bought one for my son (black 8gb) How bad are we talking? The WiFi in my house is great except for one room--yes my son's. Figures....
He has a pluglink Ethernet for his bedroom but uses it for Xbox.
Also, setting it up I was kind of annoyed ouya demands payment info before you start. All I wanted was to setup kodi and some emulators before Xmas. I bought him a preloaded card but thought it was lame after paying 100 bucks I needed to give them my credit card before trying it. Now I'm learning there may possibly be other obstacles.?
Can anyone give me a idea how bad the WiFi is? Works ok in my basement but it needs to work well in his room.
Hey Klit
you just said he has ethernet in his room
just plug it into OUYA
I know you said it is connected in his xbox but he CANNOT use both at once.
If he is watching a movie, he won't be playing darth vadar