Why does an episode from an old series stream, instead of the new series episode?

Fermat

Oct 30, 2016
Since my previous thread of similar subject was closed before anyone could provide a meaningful answer, here is the solution for the issue of why it's sometimes hard to get the correct episode to stream, regardless of which Kodi add-on you're using. This is often the case when there is more than one series of the same name (eg Twilight Zone, Lost In Space, etc). Due to similar descriptions, scrapers can easily get confused.
  1. The most important thing you can do is configure your add-on(s) to display results "by provider" (rather than by quality). You can do this from the Playback setting in each add-on.
  2. In the same Playback section, set the default action to "directory" (rather than by dialog or auto-play).
  3. Then starting from the top of the list of results, if you get a dodgy result, note that provider, and skip all of its other streams. Jump down the list till you see the next different provider and try again.
Other things that may assist:
  • Using the Indigo add-on, clear Kodi's cache, thumbnails, packages and crash logs.
  • Clear providers and clear cache for all add-ons - you'll need to do this individually in the Tools section for each add-on.
  • Clear your Android cache, either for all apps or just for Kodi.
  • Clear your Android DNS settings - if I understand it correctly, unless there's an Android setting for this, you can do it by removing your media player's power cord for about 1/2 a minute. If it has a battery, remove that too.

Fermat

Oct 30, 2016
They will. Everything (apps and settings, downloads, the lot) is stored in flash RAM. So, same as with your Android phone, when you remove the battery (assuming it's a removable battery) you don't lose anything. I doubt that any of the dedicated Android media players have batteries anyway, certainly mine doesn't.

I might just add that some add-ons are not that great, eg. with regard to point 1 above, you may well configure your settings to display results by provider, but you could still find they do not actually display that way. Not much you can do about that.