WiFi Not working on Linux XBMC (Cyclone Nano Slim+)

axe1986

Jun 3, 2013
Hi All,

I have flashed my box with the geeksquad Linux image, everything is working perfect, except it wont allow me to connect via WiFi, wired works fine but isn't practical for where the box is, i have tried reverting back to android but i keep getting No SD card Mounted when it updates to 4.0.4 (Previous versions ok), and the video streaming is too juddery on android version anyway.

It scans my two wireless access points fine and 100% signal, and allows me to put my password in, but then sits there for a minute or so and then says it wont connect, my home network is all ok, rebooted, re setup etc..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

davidlucie

May 3, 2013
Arkansas
Is it possible that a firewall is stopping coming into the router? If nothing else use the mac address from what you are trying to connect to make a exception for that device.

axe1986

Jun 3, 2013
Is it possible that a firewall is stopping coming into the router? If nothing else use the mac address from what you are trying to connect to make a exception for that device.
ill give that a try now.

No Joy with this method

Last edited:

Nukeybrown

May 13, 2012
Plug in wired see if it connects then unlug the wired cable from your nano and try for wireless again

axe1986

Jun 3, 2013
tried the wired then wireless method, finally solved the issue, sort of,

Had to create a a guest network on my airport extreme, reboot box join guest network with password. It seems that it does not like/recognise the format of my password for my main wireless network, not sure why. Got its own network now but it has awful wireless hardware, very slow. Pleased its resolved now though.

Nukeybrown

May 13, 2012
Shouldnt be slow like ive got 1 and it runs fine, only issue i have is virgin media is pants.

axe1986

Jun 3, 2013
Maybe faulty box or bad image? Dog slow on Wifi, all other devices are very quick on wifi, this is in the next room to my main Router, my TV recessed in a wall at the other end of the house is much quicker.

PS, this isn't a sarcastic response

Nukeybrown

May 13, 2012
Dont think anyone took it as a sarcastic response. Can you send it back to where it came from for a swap

Android_Adict

Jan 11, 2013
If wifi doesn't work on these builds like Ive been seeing over and over again, than this isn't a viable solution, and the img file is incomplete...

I think everyone was quick to jump on this band wagon (including the makers of the xbmc wizard) and they never realized the repercussions....
These linux ports are very limiting and incomplete as far as I'm concerned..

Worstly, the majority of people don't know how to flash their boxes without the wizard..

In my opinion the android section of the wizard is misleading and puts too much emphasis on the linux ports which have nothing to do with android.

What they should have done is had a linux port section separate and had the android section include the latest builds for every box in case they want to go back just as easily..

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
If wifi doesn't work on these builds like Ive been seeing over and over again, than this isn't a viable solution, and the img file is incomplete...

I think everyone was quick to jump on this band wagon (including the makers of the xbmc wizard) and they never realized the repercussions....
These linux ports are very limiting and incomplete as far as I'm concerned..

Worstly, the majority of people don't know how to flash their boxes without the wizard..
How are they limiting and incomplete? Ive run linux on one of my boxes from day one and never had an issue as have lots of other people.As for my other box which i have android on,it has been a nightmare from the start trying to arse around with different builds and playercorefactory xmls.Ive only just finally found a stable build that works properly.
There has been more problems with people trying to get android builds to work than enough
As for the majority of people not knowing how to flash the box manually,i dont believe thats true either.There are plenty of guides out there and plenty of info given by us on here
To get a linux build that works is just the same as finding an android build that works.And we have info on which builds work on which boxes
I know you like android,but i dont think it right for you to rubbish linux builds just because you prefer using android
Its not a "bandwagon" just because someone wants to use something different than what you prefer,and the makers of the hubwizard havent jumped on anything.
Thats one of the many great things about this software.People have the choice to use whichever and we can all get along in harmony:D

P.s that android build you told me about works great.First proper stable build that seems to work and play everything (including Spor**dev*l links) that ive used

Last edited:

Android_Adict

Jan 11, 2013
How are they limiting and incomplete? Ive run linux on one of my boxes from day one and never had an issue as have lots of other people.As for my other box which i have android on,it has been a nightmare from the start trying to arse around with different builds and playercorefactory xmls.Ive only just finally found a stable build that works properly.
There has been more problems with people trying to get android builds to work than enough
As for the majority of people not knowing how to flash the box manually,i dont believe thats true either.There are plenty of guides out there and plenty of info given by us on here
To get a linux build that works is just the same as finding an android build that works.And we have info on which builds work on which boxes
I know you like android,but i dont think it right for you to rubbish linux builds just because you prefer using android
Its not a "bandwagon" just because someone wants to use something different than what you prefer,and the makers of the hubwizard havent jumped on anything.
Thats one of the many great things about this software.People have the choice to use whichever and we can all get along in harmony:D

P.s that android build you told me about works great.First proper stable build that seems to work and play everything (including Spor**dev*l links) that ive used

I didn't intend to take a jab at these builds in a negative way and as I re-read my post I can see how it may have been taken that way..
The reason I say that it's incomplete is because xbmc alone is not an operating system. If it were an entire ubuntu build that included xbmc it wouldn't be so limiting. A real OS would allow other applications to run and give the operator more control over their device to set up the wifi for example... My intentions were purely constructive criticism.

Don't get me wrong, I like linux also, and I may even be swayed to try and eventually even prefer that approach if one was available.

Having said that there is lots of promise slightly beyond the horizon to do just that. The biggest problem for third party innovators has been the need to reverse engineer everything they do. I think the Chinese manufactures are starting to understand the market a little better and they are slowly starting to conform with customer demands.

Here are a couple examples of the progress being made:
http://liliputing.com/2013/06/linux-source-code-for-rockchip-rk3188-devices-now-available.html
http://www.xbmcandroid.com/2013/06/06/geniatech-m3-atv510b-source-code-public-release/

Last edited:

XxAnthxX

Feb 16, 2013
I've ran quite a few nano's and 510b's with Linux (mainly settled on Geeksquad8.img) and I have found that the wifi connection issue is largely solved if your wifi password is short and uppercase, regardless of the type of security...dunno why.

The only thing I've given up on trying to connect to is wifi that doesn't broadcast it's ssid.

Eddy283

Jan 10, 2013
hi, ive been installing linux onto these boxes for a while now and all of a sudden i cant access my wifi through xbmc. i can only use a wired connection. it wont pick up any wireless networks at all even though it did before hand with the android software on it.
i keep reading about changing the skin but im getting dependencies not met.

please help!

Last edited: