Windows 10

egwphd

Jan 23, 2013
I have a new HP Pavilion i5 and cannot install Kodi. I am an experienced user (since before there was an Eden) and have several different machines up and running.

But not on this new machine with Windows 10.

I have tried over a dozen times. I have tried Jarvis 16.0 & 16.1 as well as Isengard.

I get this message:

Error opening files for writing
C:\Program files (x86)\Kodi\Kodi.exe

What's up?

Anyone else having this problem?

zoro

Nov 25, 2014
Is reported that there is a problem during installation if the username you are having at windows is with no latin characters or there is a space on the username. I dont know if that is your problem but give it a try.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Make sure you Run as Administrator, sounds like a permissions issue. I have installed it on Win 10 with no issues.

Romster

Aug 16, 2012
usually an error opening a file means that is in use by another process. So try running task manager and if there are any other instances of kodi or the setup routine already running then end those and try again.

to rule out permission related problems try right clicking on the install file after you have downloaded it and select run as administrator.
If you still have problems start windows in safe mode andtry installing it again.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Make sure you Run as Administrator, sounds like a permissions issue. I have installed it on Win 10 with no issues.
+1 on this. I had that problem once on a W10 machine. Ran as admin and it installed flawlessly. You might also want to remove any folders left by the failed install before trying again.

egwphd

Jan 23, 2013
Thanks Romster

No one else suggested I try safe Mode, either this post or other one.

I did that including running as administrator and being sure all previous installations, files, folders, etc were deleted.

I did all the other things but not in safe mode.

This time it installed.

I hope it stays that way.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Romster

Aug 16, 2012
glad I could help egwphd.
safe mode basically starts your machine with minimal drivers but crucially it stops programmes from automatically starting from the startup folder or the run key in the registry
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa376977(v=vs.85).aspx

you can also use run the msconfig utility and then click the startup tab that will show you which programmes start automatically but in windows10 you will be directed to the task manager which now has a startup tab it allows you to eliminate which automatically running process is causing the problem by giving you the ability to disable each one.