Windows 8.1 BRIX Gigabyte GB-BXBT-2807 happy

mickleby

Jan 9, 2015
Greetings

I just installed Kodi on new (to me) Celeron BRIX. Very satisfied so far. Replacing Minix Neo X7-mini.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this hardware, though I had read satisfaction posts. The ONLY time I notice any issue so far was when Windows wanted to do MEGA updates just after install. Since then, Kodi flows just as smooth as silk. The Android X7-mini was fun, but the memory architecture is JUST TOO DANG SLOW for any web browsing. Kodi worked fine on the X7-mini, except when it wanted to update the metadata and gave the Kodi busy version of the "spinning beachball". I'm looking forward to a better overall HTPC experience with the Windows BRIX, and it is SWEET to have Kodi respond so fluidly!

The investment is apples-to-oranges. You really need to spend at least $175 to get the BRIX up. It sells for around $100 with no memory and no HDD. By comparison, I got the Minix Neo X7-mini last year for $99 and needed to add nothing (but a better wireless keyboard). The X7-mini/X-8/Other Android system works well, and I recommend this to the newbs. For me, this is my third system (GoogleTV Revue a pleasant first), and I was willing to pay a premium AND I new which components were "bumming me out" so to speak. Probably I will buy a RaspberryPI at some point to make the comparison to the $35 system...

I may choose to install Linux at some point. (I have no particular attachment to Windows, I just happened to have a spare Windows laptop HDD laying about from installing an SSD for my niece.) If I do, I will lose the Wif/Bluetooth adapter that came with the BRIX, as there is no Linux driver to date for this particular card. So far I haven't even used the Wifi card. I am using Ethernet and a USB wireless keyboard. I expect even better performance from a lightweight Linux install. We'll see, no particular rush or need as yet.

As it happens, I bought this BRIX on Ebay with 8GB RAM. Way overkill, but I was curious for various reasons. (The Celeron memory controller only does 4GB, so I wanted to verify Gigabyte included a memory controller on the MOBO.) It gets to Desktop in about 25s with a SATA-II port, 5600rpm HDD. I plan to create a RAMDISK for Kodi files that get lots of use. I have the RAM, so why not?

I do not think heat is an issue. It seems to run around 70*C even under heaviest load.

So...? I am tremendously pleased. Feel free to ask any questions I may not have covered.. Or to chime in on whatever.

Cheers!

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Good to see people reaching out for alternative boxes and spending some money. I applaud your choice here.

Good for You!

Ps I have a meegopad coming tomorrow - windows 8.1 on a Stick!
I have some tricks up my sleeve for this little bugger! Will post about it soon.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
For anyone in the UK wanting one of these they are £84:99 at the moment in Maplins:-

Code:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/gigabyte-brix-gb-bxbt-2807-25-hdd-celeron-barebone-mini-pc-a50rl
add on another 60 odd quid for RAM and a small SSD and you'll get yourself a very good XBMC box