Windows 8 pc on a stick? You can have one today for just $100

winylisa

May 7, 2012
is this a realistic option for an HTPC?

Code:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/this-no-name-windows-8-stick-pc-can-be-had-now-for-100/

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Looks cool, I may buy one of these to play around with. I'm sure it will run xbmc just fine based on the specs. I doubt it comes with windows already installed though, if so it will be the cracked version.

Something to think about though is that its wifi only. You can get usb network adapters but they only can be used on windows. I would be prepared to purchase a windows license if you're going to buy this just so you can wire it. Remember wired is always better than wireless in the streaming industry, in general that is.

Last edited:

rextoba

Apr 30, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Looks cool, I may buy one of these to play around with. I'm sure it will run xbmc just fine based on the specs. I doubt it comes with windows already installed though, if so it will be the cracked version.

Something to think about though is that its wifi only. You can get usb network adapters but they only can be used on windows. I would be prepared to purchase a windows license if you're going to buy this just so you can wire it. Remember wired is always better than wireless in the streaming industry, in general that is.
My curiosity is peaked! Apparently it comes pre-loaded 8.1
Code:
http://liliputing.com/2014/11/meegopad-t01-bay-trail-windows-mini-pc-now-available-100.html

Last edited:

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I went ahead and bought one last night, just out of curiosity as to what it comes loaded with and how it will work. I am very happy with my ugoos ut3 and have no need for any more boxes but this was an exception, geez, windows 8 preinstalled, its got to be the cracked 6 month timeclock version, would have to be because a legitimate license would cost at least $50 but we will see. I'm sure it'll be 4 weeks before it arrives, by that time they'll be 6 others just like it out lol.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Having just bought a similarly specced Windows 8.1 tablet for £79 (I'd recommend going for the 32 GB version though as without too much at all installed my 32GB tablet only has 19GB's free) I'd say go for it.
I'm amazed just how good this cheap thing is, the only major drawback is the wifi, I'd assume the stick will be the same, despite connecting at 150 meg my tablet can only really achieve 40 meg download speed, its fine for most things XBMC but don't expect to stream a file in XBMC over 10Gb's in size.
I'd also add the caveat without trying I wouldn't expect the SoC in these devices to handle the deinterlacing if you need live tv in your XBMC experience (by live tv I mean over the air broadcasts not from addons), and I would expect you'd need to install something like classicshell to operate the device properly, 8.1 imho is a great touch OS but I wouldn't want anything but a normal desktop interface without touch.

Oh and only available in China at the moment but how about this Roku lite sized device for £52/$80?
Code:
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/this-tiny-affordable-chinese-pc-could-change-the-future-of-android-and-windows-1274193

rextoba

Apr 30, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
I went ahead and bought one last night, just out of curiosity as to what it comes loaded with and how it will work. I am very happy with my ugoos ut3 and have no need for any more boxes but this was an exception, geez, windows 8 preinstalled, its got to be the cracked 6 month timeclock version, would have to be because a legitimate license would cost at least $50 but we will see. I'm sure it'll be 4 weeks before it arrives, by that time they'll be 6 others just like it out lol.
Did you order it from here?
Code:
http://www.dx.com/p/meegopad-t01-quad-core-android-4-4-windows-8-hdmi-google-tv-player-w-2gb-ram-16gb-rom-us-plug-364372

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I bought it from dealextreme for $99.00 free shipping. I'm assuming your link is for them, having trouble with my tablet copying the link so I couldn't verify. Yup, I "went for It"! Ill be hyperventilating for a month, oh god, a hundred Bucks, how will my child eat Now?!, just kidding.

rextoba

Apr 30, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
I bought it from dealextreme for $99.00 free shipping. I'm assuming your link is for them, having trouble with my tablet copying the link so I couldn't verify. Yup, I "went for It"! Ill be hyperventilating for a month, oh god, a hundred Bucks, how will my child eat Now?!, just kidding.
I couldn't find the 32gb one with a non-eu plug on dealextreme otherwise I would order. 16gb with Windows 8.1 installed won't leave much room. Well I will try and find the 32gb one somewhere else. I hope you get yours as an early Xmas present. Let us know how it works when you get it.
Thanks for the reply.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Thanks, from what I understand you can stick a micro sd card in there for more space but yeah windows takes up like 8gb as it is. Ill probably just be using it for xbmc streaming. I have a nice hard drive hooked up to my router with my collection on it, so I won't be using the stick for storage anyway. I'm kind of just going to experiment with it, I'll probably not use it for my number one box or anything, heck I may even use it for a desktop and not even use it for xbmc at all, I don't know, depends on how good windows runs. Yeah I'll definitely do a writeup on it once I get it in my possession. I have a lot of boxes now and 3 ouyas too. I have to stop buying these things!

rextoba

Apr 30, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
HaHa! I hear ya, but there are a lot worse things a person could be hooked on. I just think it has a lot of possibilities provided everything works ok. A screen, a couple of cables/adapters and a smartphone and you're running windows and android out of your pocket or a backpack. Great for travelling?
I'll be keeping tabs on this thing for sure! Look forward to your feedback. Take care!

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I recently bought a portable wifi thingy from wall mart. I think its called "on the go". I have an antiquated blackberry that I love as a phone but trying to do anything on its internet is dinosaur times and the screen is tiny now, so I decided to keep the phone as is and get a 7 inch Samsung tablet 4 so I can mess around on the internet while I eat lunch on the go. I haven't tried to stream anything yet but I'm curious how it will work for that. Really if a person wanted to sell xbmc boxes, they could build a monitor and mount all the peripherals on the back. One could even power it from a car battery. I was thinking of doing this once upon a time but my contracting business makes much more money than selling boxes ever could.

rextoba

Apr 30, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Speaking of selling boxes, I see the Prometheus HTPC has been selling like crazy since they put it on sale for $250 as a Black Friday promo. I'd really like to hear some honest feedback on those boxes.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
You can probably learn all you need to know about the Prometheus box from this thread at .org
Code:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=196673&highlight=prometheus

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Microsoft give Windows 8.1 with Bing away free to manufacturers for certain devices and at a very low cost for others, its probably a legit version that will last the lifetime of the device.

From my tablet experience I'd say 32GB storage is a pre-requisite to get the best out of this hardware, with not too much installled at all my 32GB tablet only has 17GBs free storage.
I'll be interested in your experience, with this stick, I'd expect the wifi on it to be its biggest drawback but if that is even reasonable I may pick one up for my old dad who bless him at the grand old age of 80 has decided he'd like to learn about the internet and I think something like this may be the perfect starting point for him

rextoba

Apr 30, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Very entertaining read! Lots of fur flying! Doesn't however give me any user feedback on how the performance is, how the support is. At $350 I wouldn't touch it but for $250 I'm curious partly due to the included sub to sportsaccess and HQ Sports. Got another day to make a decision as the sale is over tomorrow night.

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Not really the place to start discussing a business from people that are banned from here, also paid sports services from them or anyone else

Last edited:

rextoba

Apr 30, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
I was pretty sure this was the HTPC area of the Hardware Discussion section? I didn't realize that libertytv.ca was banned from here. Is there a list of the banished somewhere? I was looking for feedback on a product under what I thought was the correct sub-forum, guess I was mistaken????

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Very entertaining read! Lots of fur flying! Doesn't however give me any user feedback on how the performance is, how the support is. At $350 I wouldn't touch it but for $250 I'm curious partly due to the included sub to sportsaccess and HQ Sports. Got another day to make a decision as the sale is over tomorrow night.
If you read that thread you'd have seen a fair few suggestions for similarly specced machines for a lot less than $250.
Given the demise of the addon of choice that team/company uses I'd guess the sale is really a fire sale to offload stock they have been lumbered with,
I could be wrong but I'd say support would be lacking in the future but you never know they might create their own addon to fleece people out of their hard earned cash with.

kingblue

Oct 28, 2012
I bought the same box with better spec from aliexpress £90 im absolutely delighted with it its lightning fast and so easy to get around addons ok i dont get prometheus support but im more than happy with the box