Windows Laptop connected to TV display issue.

rextoba

Apr 30, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
I just hooked up a laptop running Windows 7 and Kodi 14.2 to a brand new LG TV using the HDMI ports and it all works great but for the life of me I can't get the display on the TV to show in fullscreen. Whether it's the windows interface or Kodi it shows up on the TV screen 2" smaller than the actual screen size. I've tried to adjust the resolution on the laptop and in Kodi, also played with the fullscreen or windowed display setting in Kodi. I can't find anything in the TV settings that affect the display through HDMI either. If our cable box is being used it uses the fullscreen as does my Ouya if I hook that up to it. I don't have much hair as it is and now I'm pulling what little I have left out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
make sure display mode is fullscreen #2,
resolution is 1290x1080p (if this is your tvs resoluion),
deselect use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen if its selected,
lastly go through video calibration

rextoba

Apr 30, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
I will give this a try later when I'm home. I very much appreciate your help, Thank you so much.

rextoba

Apr 30, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
It worked! There is no fullscreen #2 but it still worked. Thanks again.

xoted

Jan 12, 2015
help please one question!!
should kodi/xbmc programme work on "Windows XP "??
only my computer throws the download page out!!
cheers

tvaddict

Nov 21, 2014
Hi, I recently installed Kodi 14.2 on a laptop running Windows 7 and an LCD TV with 1080p resolution. I am experiencing a somewhat similar problem as rextoba's. And curiously this problem occurred on day two after my instllation, seemingly on its own. That is to say, on day one I had no trouble with my video display. Day two, the video display changed. I typically view films/TV shows using the "Normal" view setting and it often displays as letterbox. I have followed jokster's suggestions above and this has not changed the fact that my display is not centred - there's a couple of inches vertically of black screen down left side of my TV screen and the Kodi display is cut off at its edges. Also, films/TV shows take up the entire TV screen under the Normal view setting, so they look as though I have set a Zoom view, though I have not done this. My Kodi video display settings are currently: 1290x1080p, 0.00 and 1.0. There is no fullscreen #2 so I have selected Fullscreen #1. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you! And btw, the improvements made by Kodi developers are excellent and greatly facilitate use for new users.

rextoba

Apr 30, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Hi, I recently installed Kodi 14.2 on a laptop running Windows 7 and an LCD TV with 1080p resolution. I am experiencing a somewhat similar problem as rextoba's. And curiously this problem occurred on day two after my instllation, seemingly on its own. That is to say, on day one I had no trouble with my video display. Day two, the video display changed. I typically view films/TV shows using the "Normal" view setting and it often displays as letterbox. I have followed jokster's suggestions above and this has not changed the fact that my display is not centred - there's a couple of inches vertically of black screen down left side of my TV screen and the Kodi display is cut off at its edges. Also, films/TV shows take up the entire TV screen under the Normal view setting, so they look as though I have set a Zoom view, though I have not done this. My Kodi video display settings are currently: 1290x1080p, 0.00 and 1.0. There is no fullscreen #2 so I have selected Fullscreen #1. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you! And btw, the improvements made by Kodi developers are excellent and greatly facilitate use for new users.
Have you done the video calibration from Settings>System>Video Output? What make and model is your TV? My Kodi video display setting needed to be 1290 x 1024 according to my TV's specs. for a PC HDMI connection.

Last edited:

tvaddict

Nov 21, 2014
Thanks for the reply rextoba. Yes, I've gone through video calibration, but that did not help matters any and made the amount of info displaying on my screen less than what it had been. So I decided to play with resolution settings. My LG TV settings recommend resolution of 1290 x 1080 and I've found if I go into Kodi System Settings Video and change display to 1440 x 900, the left vertical black area disappears and I now have a centred full screen with lesser letterbox effect i.e., a narrower strips of black at top and bottom of picture. I guess the TV's resolution setting and the Kodi video resolution setting do not need to be the same? Thanks again.

Friffy1

May 18, 2013
The answer doesn't matter. Windows XP is end-of-life. Nobody should be using it (if connected to a network of any kind). Period.

Friffy1

May 18, 2013
Thanks for the reply rextoba. Yes, I've gone through video calibration, but that did not help matters any and made the amount of info displaying on my screen less than what it had been. So I decided to play with resolution settings. My LG TV settings recommend resolution of 1290 x 1080 and I've found if I go into Kodi System Settings Video and change display to 1440 x 900, the left vertical black area disappears and I now have a centred full screen with lesser letterbox effect i.e., a narrower strips of black at top and bottom of picture. I guess the TV's resolution setting and the Kodi video resolution setting do not need to be the same? Thanks again.
Many TV's default to some sort of overscan. Manufacturers refer to the aspect setting in different ways. You want to look for something like 1:1, or One-To-One, or Dot-by-Dot. Something that indicates what you send, is what will be displayed. You want Kodi to output 1920x1080. You TV should detect that signal automatically and display it properly. You shouldn't need to adjust resolution on the TV manually. But the aspect ratio and overscan are adjustable on many TVs. But not all. My brother's crappy TV won't let him change it so he had to adjust Kodi to a non-standard aspect to get it to fit his screen properly. This is something you DON'T want to do (unless, like him, you have to).