Xbmc android MX box slow internet speed

philibobs

Mar 17, 2014
Hi all
Just got an xbmc box android one with unity software that it came with, I have fibre internet running at 36 for the speed but using the built in app on the MX box it only shows 10, is there any setting or anything else I can tweak at all?

philibobs

Mar 17, 2014
Using laptop wired to modem using BT wholesale speed test laptop did 35.17mbps MX box at same time with wired connection did 10 Mbps when ran on its own and both together just did 5.83mps,

danindundas

Nov 22, 2013
Generally you would use wired plug in for better performance, if this is not possible than use wifi. Have you try the followings?:
1) Make sure that your wifi signal is strong, (you can google how to increase your wifi signal), but I would move the router closer to the box or use a wifi repeater.
2) Make sure that your router has the latest firmware. Download the latest firmware from the manufacture. If you have an older router and you don’t want to buy another one, try installing dd-wrt (wwwdotdd-wrtdotcom) firmware on your router. I installed this firmware on two of my routers and they work so much better.
3) Try changing your wifi channel. Most routers default the channel settings to auto (6 or 11), but if you live in an area with multiple wifi signals, chances are you are using the same channel as your neighbours. There is a program (5 days trial) that you can use to determine what channel everyone around you are using, it calls inSSIDer Office by Metagreek. Download and install this software to your laptop (or desktop if it has wifi) and you will be able to pick up all the signals around you. Change your channel accordingly.
4) Use a speed test to check your Internet speed: I like to use speedof.me website to test my speed, speedof.me is an html5 so it does not use flash or Java to run the test and can be used on most Android, and IOS devices.
Hope this helps…. Cheers.

mastrotheoris

Mar 29, 2014
danindundas thank you for your reply however the problem is not related at all to wifi. I have an android mx box running jelly bean 4.2.2

My internet speed should be 12Mb/s but my android box can get maximum 5Mb/s but usually around 4Mb/s even though it is connected via ETHERNET CABLE.

This is a problem with the box itself, maybe a firmware issue.

Anyone please help. This is a big problem!!!

AL8782

Jan 17, 2014
I've been having the same problem. When I first got my box in November I would get over 25 Mbps with no problem both wifi and ethernet. Now I'm lucky if I can 5 Mbps and it doesn't matter if it next to the router, ethernet or down stairs the mbps's are all the same.

All my other devices are all running close to 28 Mbps. I call everyone I know that has a gbox and use to have good Mbps speed now have the same problem, not one person can get over 5 Mbps out of their box.

It's just crazy how this just happen all of a sudden on all our boxes.

And another thing that just started happening that has never happen to all our boxes is when you turn it on there's this compressing database that shows up on the top right of the screen

I hardly ever had any buffering problems until this week. I have a feeling there was maybe some kind of corrupted update put out that's messing all our boxes up.