XBMC crashes when trying to play videos after updating Video Driver

oldroadfan

Feb 28, 2016
Hi,

First post.

I have a Gateway Windows 7 64 bit PC that had XBMC "Fully Loaded" installed on it. Worked great.

The wife has been complaining of Blue Screens of Death (BSOD) when browsing Facebook on IE 11. With help on Sevenforums, we tracked out down to 0016 and 0117 which were video driver issues.

I downloaded a WHQL driver from the AMD Catalyst set. Fixed BSOD issues while using IE but after that, when trying to play a video or stream, the working circle would start spinning but it would quickly freeze and lock XBMC. I had to use Task Manager to shut it down. Often the audio track would play even though XBMC would nbot respond to any mouse or keyboard inputs.

I uninstalled XBMC and installed the official version of Kod thinking maybe a fresh install was needed. Same result.

Are there settings that need changed? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

fracl

Jan 1, 2015
I have a laptop with Kodi on it and that's it. i use another pc for my daily browsing. maybe you can find a cheap second PC for XBMC and your wife can keep that one?

oldroadfan

Feb 28, 2016
I have a laptop with Kodi on it and that's it. i use another pc for my daily browsing. maybe you can find a cheap second PC for XBMC and your wife can keep that one?
Interesting idea but I have other computers and streamers with XBMC or Kodi on them but I also want it on this one. There must be some setting to change - I could not imagine a driver update making Kodi or XBMC where it would not work correctly and then there not be a fix.

Blazetamer

Mar 3, 2013
The Yellow Brick Road
Incorrect video driver will wreak havoc on Kodi.... So yeah , Look for different drivers. ESPECIALLY on a Gateway....

BUT FIRST , you can mess around with the video settings in Kodi, But IMO if you chaged out the drivers and this happened it stands to reason that the drivers are not correct..

oldroadfan

Feb 28, 2016
Thanks Blazetamer. Do you have any recommended tools for resolving driver issues? Thanks again - not well versed on drivers (or anything else). :)

Blazetamer

Mar 3, 2013
The Yellow Brick Road
well , in theory , you should be able to get the most updated drivers for that machine from Gateway's website , You just would need to know what model number you have and start from there

oldroadfan

Feb 28, 2016
well , in theory , you should be able to get the most updated drivers for that machine from Gateway's website , You just would need to know what model number you have and start from there
Solved.

Thanks all.

I tried DriverMax software - it updated the driver to the correct one. I "assumed" that I needed to change a video setting in Kodi but it was the driver. Good call, Blazetamer.