XBMC freezes via VPN in the evenings only (Virgin UK)

thefunkpunk1980

May 21, 2012
London
Hi all,

A friend of mine who I showed the wonders of xbmc is having a very peculiar problem. He cannot use the software in the evenings?! In the day it runs fine i.e. 1Ch**nel etc but in the evening it keeps freezing and he cannot watch anything. He has 20mb broadband and he ran a speed check and pretty bang on 20mb in the evening. He has tried frsh uninstall and fresh install and is running VPN through privateinternetaccess.com as recommended and connecting to Sweden.

Could it be he should try another country? what country's are recommended from the UK?

He is not tech savy but he's done pretty well so far and wanna get this sorted for him.

Thanks in advance.

Flapster

Nov 13, 2013
The Black Country, UK
What box is he using XBMC on? It can happen at peak times that speeds drop on VPNs, and this will depend on which server he is located on. It could be the server he is on is experiencing sporadic speed drops from time to time. I would test another server in another country to see if this cures the problem first.

I also use PIA and use the Netherlands server with no issues. Im also on Virgin at 60mb. I know Virgins speeds drop at peak times, so with this and coupled with a drop in VPN speeds may be the case.

thefunkpunk1980

May 21, 2012
London
What box is he using XBMC on? It can happen at peak times that speeds drop on VPNs, and this will depend on which server he is located on. It could be the server he is on is experiencing sporadic speed drops from time to time. I would test another server in another country to see if this cures the problem first.

I also use PIA and use the Netherlands server with no issues. Im also on Virgin at 60mb. I know Virgins speeds drop at peak times, so with this and coupled with a drop in VPN speeds may be the case.
He is just using laptop with windows and connecting that to his tv. I will suggest he tries netherlands tonight and see if any improvement.

Thanks for your help by the way.

thefunkpunk1980

May 21, 2012
London
Let us know how he gets on. What device is he using by the way ?
Will do pal. He just using a laptop running windows 7 and connecting to tv via hdmi so bog standard set up. It stinks of Virgin to me as why would it work perfectly during the day and not at night? Thanks to you at least he has some other options + he will try switching his vpn to netherlands, again working now but later who knows ;)

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Id also be curious to know im using private internet access I live in the UK and I connect to UK Southampton as it is closest to me ive never had any problems streaming, found alot of the resolvers are a not working at the moment though.