Bug xbmc keeps crashing after clicking videos

heavyd69

Oct 25, 2013
each time i click on more than 3 videos, the xbmc software crashes and goes back to the main screen on the fire tv. it does not matter which repo i use. does any one else experience this? if so , how can it be fixed.

thanks

d

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Anytime xbmc acts up this is a good method to clear it up:

First go to your computer settings/applications/xbmc and press clear cache, then open xbmc and go to programs/program addons/xbmchub maintenance/generalmaintenance/delete my cache and clear it then go back into maintenance and click on delete packages. Next you go to xbmc/settings/video/library and click on clean library and then all junk files will be gone and ruled out. Then notice when you restart xbmc you'll get a first run notice and you'll see a bar loading. No personal settings will be affected. That's the lions way of a full cleaning. This can actually fix problems in many cases.

Last edited:

heavyd69

Oct 25, 2013

First go to your computer settings/applications/xbmc and press clear cache, then open xbmc and go to programs/program addons/xbmchub maintenance/generalmaintenance/delete my cache and clear it then go back into maintenance and click on delete packages. Next you go to xbmc/settings/video/library and click on clean library and then all junk files will be gone and ruled out. Then notice when you restart xbmc you'll get a first run notice and you'll see a bar loading. No personal settings will be affected. That's the lions way of a full cleaning. This can actually fix problems in many cases.
Thanks i will give that a try. I have deleted the cache before but i didnt go as deep as you suggest. I will give it a try. I may also try spmc if it is faster

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
If i install spmc, do i have to delete xbmc? also, do you side load it like xbmc?
No. They run side by side. I think what I did was I tried SPMC for a day or 2 (it ran great btw) then I copied over my xbmc files to the appropriate locations into the SPMC folders. You may also be able to create a backup of xbmc then restore that backup to SPMC. That works for everything,I believe, except any advanced settings you may have. And if you do have advanced settings you need to amend them to SPMC path (it's basically just changing the name) Once you're sure everything's ok you can delete xbmc.
Sorry for the lack of specifics. I think I found the info on xda but there's probably a post or 2 here that might help. Good luck!
***Always create a backup if you care about losing the setup you have--just to be safe.

Last edited:

heavyd69

Oct 25, 2013
I gave it a shot as you suggested but it still crashes. any other ideas?

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I'm curious about the size of your library, and how much internal disc space you have...
I did a fresh install and only used add-on installer--just installing the add-ons I use (genesis, Spo*ts De*il) Also I have a trakt account so that made rebuilding my library simple.
I think you should try providing as much info as possible like version of xbmc, rooted, advanced settings. Prob the best thing to do (which I was told recently) is to enable debugging & get a log.
I'm fairly confident you're answer will be somewhere in there. I've found that my network has caused issues with fire tv over WiFi. Certain areas of my house are prone to drops in signal despite speed tests indicating otherwise. Tonite I visited my parents & set up ftv on their 2.4ghz network & it was unwatchable--constant buffering , not finding links my home network connected to quickly. So needless to say it can get complicated. Enabling debug is maybe your best bet. Or you could just go the route I did and fresh install it.

heavyd69

Oct 25, 2013
I'm curious about the size of your library, and how much internal disc space you have...
I did a fresh install and only used add-on installer--just installing the add-ons I use (genesis, Spo*ts De*il) Also I have a trakt account so that made rebuilding my library simple.
I think you should try providing as much info as possible like version of xbmc, rooted, advanced settings. Prob the best thing to do (which I was told recently) is to enable debugging & get a log.
I'm fairly confident you're answer will be somewhere in there. I've found that my network has caused issues with fire tv over WiFi. Certain areas of my house are prone to drops in signal despite speed tests indicating otherwise. Tonite I visited my parents & set up ftv on their 2.4ghz network & it was unwatchable--constant buffering , not finding links my home network connected to quickly. So needless to say it can get complicated. Enabling debug is maybe your best bet. Or you could just go the route I did and fresh install it.
Thanks for the detailed response. i will do that and post. Btw, i did do a fresh install and then just loaded the repos i wanted but i still have same issues. i dont have any buffering issues except if i try and stream HD. i am on wireless though.