XBMCHUB Graphics Showcase

drk11

Mar 19, 2016
Most addons have naff artwork to be honest even the skins i think look poor.

Ex**us is the exception looks professional

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Most addons have naff artwork to be honest even the skins i think look poor.
Im sure the people that took their time to make this "naff" artwork and countless hours developing and maintaining skins will be thankful to hear that

Last edited:

drk11

Mar 19, 2016
Im sure the people that took their time to make this "naff" artwork and countless hours developing and maintaining skins will be thankful to hear that
Credit were credits due the coding side is amazing and I can appreciate the kind of work that goes into them. BUT in all honesty the artwork is weak in comparison.

Most of the art works for skins are just movie images with a weak font dropped over it this would never take HOURS to do.

There is exceptions like Ex**us, SA*TS and the new Pho*nix logo is nice unlike the old one.

Im not out to hurt anyone's feelings but I wont make out everything is amazing when its clearly not.

lambda

Banned
Oct 8, 2013
Athens, GR
Credit were credits due the coding side is amazing and I can appreciate the kind of work that goes into them. BUT in all honesty the artwork is weak in comparison.

Most of the art works for skins are just movie images with a weak font dropped over it this would never take HOURS to do.

There is exceptions like Ex**us, SA*TS and the new Pho*nix logo is nice unlike the old one.

Im not out to hurt anyone's feelings but I wont make out everything is amazing when its clearly not.

Why don't you help then?
Contact with the authors of the addons you are talking about and design better artwork for them.
This is how open source staff work. How about contributing?

mj71

Jan 13, 2013

You dont have to make out anything

Joining the forum and then calling peoples work "naff" and "poor" is bad form and hardly constructive criticism

If something doesnt meet your standards,then step up and contribute (this is the thread to do it )and you will be welcome to submit your work for people to use if they want, or simply dont use it or move on instead of insulting peoples efforts

When you say skins are you getting mixed up with thumbnails and backgroundsor a logo etc for addons?

A skin takes a lot of work and developement and maintaining,look over at the kodi forum where the skins are from and you will see the effort that goes into a skin and yes you are right,they dont take HOURS,they are worked on constantly,so more than HOURS

Anyway,i digress.This thread is for people to show their artwork,feel free to join in,you are more than welcome

If a developer likes your contribution then they might use it

lambda

Banned
Oct 8, 2013
Athens, GR
A skin takes a lot of work and developement and maintaining,look over at the kodi forum where the skins are from and you will see the effort that goes into a skin and yes you are right,they dont take HOURS,they are worked on constantly,so more than HOURS
+1
You don't need hours or days to have a skin ready.
You actually need months and months of work...

drk11

Mar 19, 2016
You want me to do say its brilliant well done. maybe im getting mixed up with skins and some the builds I have come across but I still think the design is weak compared to the coding.

I dont mind helping out and contributing with stuff not saying it will be much better as I criticise my own work just the same as I do anyone els First to admit I can be hard to please.

lol I get it people get defensive but not every criticism constructive.

example Spo*ts De*il is an amazing addon and i love it but the logo and icons are poor in comparison.

people dont need to get so defensive

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
No, Just don't say anything ! if you don't like a gfx then make your own. Or don't use the addon

I see your also requesting a Rangers FC addon too. Good luck with that !!

Also builds and skins are completely different, although many builds may take time it's insulting to Skinner's to put them in the same bracket.

drk11

Mar 19, 2016
so because i dont like alot of the artwork on kodi makes me a big baddy lol i have loads of positives to say but the one negative and its swarmed on. it was a passing comment ment to illiterate how good i thought the Ex**us design was dont really think its fair to bombard me about it.

maybe i got skins and build wrong as im not totally clued up on the difference for that i will apologise but I stand by my point that alot of the designs are naff and what I meant from that and it probably has not come across right IS

the design on alot of addons seems to be an after thought although I have noticed with Pho*nix as an example they have updated the logos and for the better.

I would be happy to contribute with design ideas and bounce of other users with ideas and stuff but not if the response is like that.

drk11

Mar 19, 2016

This is what I mean most these designs are naff. If people with the skills to design good stuff worked together and helped developers then the quality would be up there with the quality of coding.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
If people with the skills to design good stuff worked together and helped developers then the quality would be up there with the quality of coding.
Coders are not usually known for their love of creating artwork, they'd rather spend time on making the thing work rather than making it look pretty. So we have other people, who maybe don't code but are good with Photoshop etc & can make the artwork. That's the whole point of this thread. Chiming in and calling other people's work "weak" without contributing anything yourself isn't helping anyone.

drk11

Mar 19, 2016
Coders are not usually known for their love of creating artwork, they'd rather spend time on making the thing work rather than making it look pretty. So we have other people, who maybe don't code but are good with Photoshop etc & can make the artwork. That's the whole point of this thread. Chiming in and calling other people's work "weak" without contributing anything yourself isn't helping anyone.
I am willing but lol in actual fact im more than happy to work with people and do stuff.

the new Pho*nix icon is quality work and far superior to the old one.

lambda

Banned
Oct 8, 2013
Athens, GR
I am willing but lol in actual fact im more than happy to work with people and do stuff.

What do you mean when you say "work with people"?
Like you decide to do staff that make you happy, other people do the same too you know.
What really matters is if the author of an addon likes the artwork he uses in his addon.
Only this and nothing else.

tknorris

Feb 18, 2014

I think your criticisms will be received more willingly if they are preceded by contributions. Failing that, you are just another user complaining about things they get for free that they can't do themselves.

(And to be clear, "contributions" mean code, graphics, testing, etc not financial per se.)

Don_black

May 25, 2012
Tknorris, I do graphic design, if you we're to exchange quality graphics for addon help and creation. I am your man.

tknorris

Feb 18, 2014
Tknorris, I do graphic design, if you we're to exchange quality graphics for addon help and creation. I am your man.
This is just my opinion, it may not be shared by others, but I think people should contribute because they want to give back, not because they hope to receive something in return. Even if every person that uses SA*TS gave me a $100, it would still never even come close to paying for the number of hours I've invested in it. Having said, that, when you contribute, it makes other more likely to respond to your issues/problems/questions, but it doesn't entitle you to their responses if you get my meaning....

So, if you want to do a theme for SA*TS, then please do, I always love new themes/graphics, but don't do it because you think it will entitle me to write code for you or answer your questions. I'm not willing to set myself up for that trade off with the limited time I have available.

drk11

Mar 19, 2016
What do you mean when you say "work with people"?
Like you decide to do staff that make you happy, other people do the same too you know.
What really matters is if the author of an addon likes the artwork he uses in his addon.
Only this and nothing else.
I mean im willing to help out bounce ideas around and do designs.

Anything I say is wrong.

drk11

Mar 19, 2016
I think your criticisms will be received more willingly if they are preceded by contributions. Failing that, you are just another user complaining about things they get for free that they can't do themselves.

(And to be clear, "contributions" mean code, graphics, testing, etc not financial per se.)
My criticism was never meant to offend anyone in actual fact it was meant to outline how good a design was. But now the backs are up anything I say is twisted

anmsr

Sep 9, 2013
My criticism was never meant to offend anyone in actual fact it was meant to outline how good a design was. But now the backs are up anything I say is twisted
dont say a damn thing. Frees stuff is good stuff, always. if you have abilities please share ideas with developers, if not take back sit. Do you even code?