XBMCHUB Wizard

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
This looks to be great but not for my Linux XBMC on Crystalbuntu.

Is there anything that it does that I can't do myself manually?

Apart from save a lot of time. :|

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
Not really... You can ABSOLUTELY get your system set up by simply following the threads of this forum.

Everything we have done to the build on the XBMC HUB Wizard, was dome by tracking issues on XBMC HUB's forums ;)

Great question!

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
I've got two 160GB ATV1's which I had bought one to run music and the other video (it's to do with the wife not being prepared to adjust audio outs, so she can never listen to music).

When I have set one up with everything I want can I simply upgrade the firmware in the second and then clone the second unit's HDD from the first that I have set up?

I'm assuming I can set shares from the ATV1 to a Synology NAS? I haven't quite got that far yet. O/T sorry, but it was my thread. :)

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
Excellent... It just gets better.

RE that cloning software, I downloaded it to my Mac the other day. Do I need to connect both source and destination HDDs by USB to my MBP to clone on to the other?

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
I'm struggling here. I got the first ATV1 working, jailbroken and updated with addon's using Fusion inside XBMC/Crystalbuntu. It works great. But it took about eight hours. Assuming that I could just take out the HDD from my second ATV1 and clone the drive fro the finished drive in the first using ATVCloner, that's what I did. It doesn't work. The ATVCloner does have a switch to use if you are using XBMC/Linux but the cloned drive has a huge Microsoft partition, a large Apple partition and no XBMC boot image (which was on the source drive).

Is tehre a tool that I can use - either on my mac or on my Mint Linus machine at work (or even a Win machine at work), that will enable me simply to copy my source drive to the destination drive without having to go through the manufacture of DMG files on the Mac I am running ATVCloner on?

If it were Windows I'd just clone the whole drive using Acronis so I am sure there must be a Linux/Mac tool to do the same job...

No?

Last edited:

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Look at the source articles we off on the front endof the site. Xbmchub.com. We have a complete guide on cloning your XBMC. IT IS NOT NEEDED TO CLONE A HARD DRIVE. YOu will clone the folder that stores all things XBMC. so install crystalbuntu on the second device, copy the folder, and run a command via terminal and your done.

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
Ah well. You see the reason I started going down the route of cloning the drive was:

1: The install of Crystalbuntu on the second ATV1 didn't work. It just kept hanging at a command prompt and remained unistalled - it couldn't contact the stmlabs site for the sh script. Yet I know that the wired ethernet connection is working. I have tried about a dozen times now and the install always hangs at the same pace, and yet this is the exact same usb stick I used to do the first ATV1

2 Cloning is dead easy and quick in Win, so i thought it might solve my problems here. It hasn't.

:(

Last edited:

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
I love crystalbuntu... And have an instillation... But if you are using the same stick, you KNOW you have an internet connection, and you are erroring out... I would wonder if it is a faulty drive. Is it formatted BLANK before you start?

Last edited:

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
The drive had a working copy of the OSX Apple TV on it before I started messing with it.... So, it did work.

If I could work out how to reformat it using a Mac I'd have a go at that but sadly I've no idea.

Least I have one ATV1 that's properly working with Crystalbuntu, eh.

Last edited:

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
I'm beginnig to wonder if the install writes somethng to the USB stick to prevent it being used again.

I'm back at: appletv-ubuntu login

Failed once again to connect to the stmlabs site to downaod the ubuntu.sh script.

I can naviagate to

http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/crystalhd-for-atv/scripts/install/ubuntu.sh

no problem using my Macbook but (for whatever reason) the ATV1 with the USB stick in the back can't connect - we're both using the same Internet connection over the same router and it is connected by ethernet cable (the same ethernet cable I used to setup the first ATV1). I've tried wireless too but I can understand why that wouldn't work.

This is driving me round the bend.

Last edited:

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
Our Internet connection is 3G through a router. I'm wondering if the 3G latency is too high for the timeout on svn.stmlabs server.....

I shall set my MBP to download something at the same time as running the XBMC install and see if that helps.

It didn't.

Last edited:

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
Yes, the ATV1 works very well connecting to the Internet using the Apple software and connected to the 3G router...... And let's not forget that I used the same router/3G setup when I instgalled Crystalbuntu on the first ATV about three days ago (is i only three days? It seems like a lot longer than that)...

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
I think I shall give up for today and go and do someting else. I'll take the thing to work with me tomorrow and see if the installer works using an ADSL connection to the Internet. If only I can find that HDMI to DVI converter....

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Kreepers... If it works with one... It works with both. If you haven't already, I would simply attempt a fresh download, patch stick, and install. Otherwise, with no specific errors or details... I fear I cannot really help you much.

Sorry, I k ow how frustrating it is. Perhaps... For fun, try open elec on the second one and see if it changes anything. Can't hurt.

Last edited:

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
I thought I'd been quite specific. It won't contact STMlabs to downlaod the ubuntu install script.

Just for fun I reconnected the ATV1 original that I had managed to install Crystalbuntu onto. I'm on my fifth reboot and the Bl**dy remote has stopped working. Yes, I have tried the remote off the other ATV1.

I am beginning to wish I had bought an Acer Revo RL70 and stuck Windows on it.

I wasn't looking for a new hobby

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
How do you type the required keyword, "install' into the AppleTV which is required for Open Elec to start the tarball download?

rhubarbe

Oct 15, 2012
Well, looking for even more irritation I decided to have a go with OPENELEC. To cut a long story short I have made the required USB stick and it's started to download files to the ATV1 I cocked up earlier.

Right now the script is patiently waiting for me to type the Keyword "install" to start the tarball download and I am frantically searching for ways to type the word "install" into a device that I cannot command remotely in any way.