Yes, I'm THAT annoying newbie

TJLamb0518

May 21, 2017
Hi, all...new to all this and have been reading around and have questions (shocking I know)....

1) Builds or repositories or add-ons? Builds seem somewhat newbie friendly, but it seems everyone has different opinions. I'd be looking for one that came ready to go with all the TV and movie add-ons set to auto update and ready to go AND with a solid search feature. It seems there are decent ones out there, but they seem to miss some add-ons or the search is hard to find (if it's there) or I keep getting error messages telling me something failed to load (MettalliQ or something like seems to be a constant crasher). I'm guessing repositories are collections of add-ons but can't really tell which repositories I'd want and which ones work and which ones meet my needs...much less if I have a dozen repositories, how do I search among them?

2) Is there an unbiased guide out there? It seems most videos are really just commercials for whatever build or repository they promote.

3) My android box does not recognize my 5G WiFi....think I may need a better, faster box. Anyone have any good suggestions that are not hundreds of dollars?

4) If I do install a build, can I still add repositories or add-ons to it?

Thanks for all your help!

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
1) Builds or repositories or add-ons? Builds seem somewhat newbie friendly, but it seems everyone has different opinions. I'd be looking for one that came ready to go with all the TV and movie add-ons set to auto update and ready to go AND with a solid search feature. It seems there are decent ones out there, but they seem to miss some add-ons or the search is hard to find (if it's there) or I keep getting error messages telling me something failed to load (MettalliQ or something like seems to be a constant crasher). I'm guessing repositories are collections of add-ons but can't really tell which repositories I'd want and which ones work and which ones meet my needs...much less if I have a dozen repositories, how do I search among them?
Unfortunately, we do not support or even discuss builds from locations on the net other than what we support here. If you want to go with a build, you will also need to get support from whom ever made that build. We simply can't know what those dude put in their builds and how they set the addons to update. Read here why we don't support builds"
https://www.tvaddons.co/kodi-builds-risks/

2) Is there an unbiased guide out there? It seems most videos are really just commercials for whatever build or repository they promote.
You got that right. Many tubers just create a video with the little knowledge they have. Most of those are simply for their benefit so they get the views. Most don't have a clue about addons and how they really work. Here is a very good guide to get you started:
https://www.tvaddons.co/kodi-addons-dummies/

3) My android box does not recognize my 5G WiFi....think I may need a better, faster box. Anyone have any good suggestions that are not hundreds of dollars?
The very best box out there is a nVidia Shield. But it does cost a couple of C notes. Walmart sells a Mi box which is very good and cost around $100 ish. Try and stay away from Chinese boxes. They do not update the firmware and tend to fail prematurely and be very slow. Amazon has a Fire TV which is also very good.

4) If I do install a build, can I still add repositories or add-ons to it?
I would think so. But once you read about build (see above), you will understand that a build sometimes is like a virus. They only do what the build maker has it doing. Sometimes they can't even be removed.

Hope this helps.