You wont believe this, I now like Windows 8.1!! (Well sort of)

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Some of you may remember the coating I've given Windows 8 in the past but I now find myself in the unusual position of praising Microsoft and Windows 8.1!
I've just bought myself a little cheap 8.1 powered tablet and on this device 8.1 comes into its own.
I far prefer the Metro interface to use as a touch interface over my old Android tablet or IOS that I have on my work supplied Ipad Mini and have the added benefit of a full desktop interface to use too.
Within reason (I wouldn't try and run Photoshop or do any video transcoding) its just like having a pocket sized main PC, there's no need to worry about how many apps are in the app store as you can install pretty much any Windows program on it if you so wish and no need to worry about rooting or different ROM's as you have full control over all aspects of it.
Imho Windows 8 was appalling as a desktop OS without putting a mod or two on it, 8.1 was less appalling but as a touch OS its great, and I'd choose this over Android or IOS every time.

On a side note if anyone in the UK is interested in a device like this I got this Quad-Core Intel Baytrail-T Processor one for £79:99:-
Code:
http://www.ebuyer.com/664723-linx-7-windows-8-tablet-pc-linx7
I was a bit skeptical how it would perform with only 1GB of RAM but have found without trying to do too much multitasking it runs like a dream, especially for XBMC, and although I haven't tried it yet there's a mini HDMI port on it (I don't have a mini HDMI connector to try this out) so depending on your XBMC useage in conjunction with a bluetooth keyboard/mouse, RC or flymouse it might make a cheap XBMC box for someone.
The limitations would be the wifi isn't good enough to stream high bitrate 1080p although anything of a files size 10GB or less seems to play and the battery life is only 5-6 hours, but presumably if you were to connect this to a TV you could power it from the TV's USB port.

Oh if anyone is tempted by this tablet only the initial batch will have 32GB storage after that it will go down to 16GB and they also do an 8" version with the same specs for £100 or a 10.1" version with 2GB RAM and a bigger battery for £169

Last edited:

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
showgun I'm curious if you've been through the same would you go as far as me in saying now I've experienced 8.1 on a tablet I wouldn't consider any other OS for future purchases unless there's a quantum leap in Android (I'd never consider buying an Apple product)?
And also on the assumption Windows 10 carries on and hopefully improves on this?

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
I wouldn't go that far. Windows has done more harm than good in my world with regard to user experience. I won't likely buy a windows device for a good while. That said, I do believe it's on the horizon. I hated...HATED... WIndows 8 and very quickly my home became an Apple Home.

Laptops, phones, tablets, over a course of a year all signs of windows was removed. Since then I made a shift to android for tablets and phones and was happier and happier with each new firmware Google released.

For many reasons (unity bring the biggest) I have now gone back to apple phone and tablet (as of last month) and it was well worth it for me.

The new experience with the latest a windows, however, is extremely well thought out and has me VERY INTERESTED in the SURFACE line of products. This is the closest thing to what I try to create with their party apps, hacks, and tweaks. I have now tried it on a PC and tablet (also having an X11) I think we are close to seeing a worthwhile ecosystem that hasn't existed for them for quite some time.

If, IF, Microsoft continues on this path...it is very possible my home may alter to a Windows based home once again.

Rosie

Sep 3, 2012
I agree. I had switched from a PC based setup to all apple. Macbook pro, ipads and iphones. I've recently sold my macbook pro and bought a Lenovo Yoga with windows 8.1 on it. I like it so much I've ordered a Nokia 830 also with 8.1 on it. It's funny that it took Microsoft 8.1 tries to get it right but they did. With Windows 10 being a free upgrade from 7, 8 and 8.1, I hope they keep it up. looking forward to putting Kodi on my Nokia.

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
I'm not keen as a desktop OS as I have to keep switching from Metro to Desktop but I had a play with a Windows tablet recently and I was amazed at how good the experience was