Your Own Repo Easy As 123

bigorangekitty

Mar 24, 2013
I wrote a couple add ons, and of course I can SSH into my pi and install them, and they work fine. I tried writing my own repo files and using Git Hub, but after 6 hours, and constant failure, I came here and saw this thread. Thank you by the way for the wonderful thread as it clarified a few things I was doing wrong! Anyhow, I followed the instructions for DropBox and got DropBox all set up. Edited my XML files to show location of DropBox, and put all my files in my "Public" folder. Then zipped the Repo folder. Then I ran addons_xml_generator through python3.3.exe, and it synced with dropbox ok. When I install my repo, it installs fine, and the channels show up and the artwork in the channel folders show up, but I get INSTALLATION FAILED. Remember these addons work installing them through zip, and I can see them in the repo, just getting the "installation failed" error. very frustrating. Any help? Thanks in advance guys

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
I can't help. .. But I will say that if you plan on sharing these addons... You may not want Dropbox. Each Dev ends up losing this ability once the repo gets used enough.

You may want to get some proffesional advice fron our guys on song github... or similar. It will save you in the long Hall.

Just my 2 cents ;)

bigorangekitty

Mar 24, 2013
I can't help. .. But I will say that if you plan on sharing these addons... You may not want Dropbox. Each Dev ends up losing this ability once the repo gets used enough.

You may want to get some proffesional advice fron our guys on song github... or similar. It will save you in the long Hall.

Just my 2 cents ;)
Thank you for the response :) ...VERY MUCH appreciated! Always great help here at the Hub. If I can at least initially set it up to where it works first, I'd be jumping and clicking my heels in mid-air. It's been a frustrating experience. I think then I could migrate it if I choose to?

o9r1sh

Sep 12, 2012
Michigan
Hey bigorangekitty, feel free to take a look at my github setup as its set up verbatim from the dropbox guide, also when I was setting it up I ran into a similar headache as you are now, turns out I was simply forgetting to put the version info on the end of my zip file.
wrong = plugin.video.myplugin
right = plugin.video.myplugin-1.0

not sure if this is the reason you're having trouble or not but just thought I would share my oversights.
oh yes, heres my git

https://github.com/o9r1sh/o9r1sh

good luck :)

bigorangekitty

Mar 24, 2013
Hey bigorangekitty, feel free to take a look at my github setup as its set up verbatim from the dropbox guide, also when I was setting it up I ran into a similar headache as you are now, turns out I was simply forgetting to put the version info on the end of my zip file.
wrong = plugin.video.myplugin
right = plugin.video.myplugin-1.0

not sure if this is the reason you're having trouble or not but just thought I would share my oversights.
oh yes, heres my git

https://github.com/o9r1sh/o9r1sh

good luck :)
Thank you o9r1sh. I will def take a look at your set up, as it might lead to me figuring the problem out. Yeah, it's definitely not the version numbers, I checked that out. It will triple check today. I had to walk away from it last night :) ...getting a fresh start later today. I will post what I find. In the meantime, ideas and suggestions on the issue are still welcomed.

thanks again!

bigorangekitty

Mar 24, 2013
I checked all the paths, version numbers. Zipped everything up, and ran addons_xml_generator.py with python3.3.exe. Now in my repo it says "downloading 0%" and then it stops, and nothing else.

I'm wondering if the checksums are being calculated properly, if I'm doing it correctly? I have .py associated with python3.3.exe, and am just double clicking the file, which briefly opens the python program, and then closes. It says date modified: 10-3-12.

bigorangekitty

Mar 24, 2013
Update: Apparently Python 3.3 doesn't "play nice" with Windows 8, so I downgraded to Python 2.7, and deleted addons.xml, and the .md5 file, and ran the addons generator script in python 2.7, and it generated addons.xml, and the md5 file. and everything looked fine, but I still get the "Downloading 0%" and it then it quits. I think I'm going to start over?

bigorangekitty

Mar 24, 2013
I think moving things around in the process of learning, and moving back and forth between GitHub and DropBox, kind of "mucked" things up a little bit. So I deleted a bunch of copies, and started fresh at GitHub, looked at the guide again (THANK YOU!) and o9r1sh's GitHub link that he posted (THANK YOU!) and i believe I have everything working! Now to improve the add-on's a bit and add a few more, and I am good to go :)
thank you for the help!!!!!

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
I think moving things around in the process of learning, and moving back and forth between GitHub and DropBox, kind of "mucked" things up a little bit. So I deleted a bunch of copies, and started fresh at GitHub, looked at the guide again (THANK YOU!) and o9r1sh's GitHub link that he posted (THANK YOU!) and i believe I have everything working! Now to improve the add-on's a bit and add a few more, and I am good to go :)
thank you for the help!!!!!
What addons do you have?

Anything we should place on fusion?

bigorangekitty

Mar 24, 2013
What addons do you have?

Anything we should place on fusion?
I have started off with basic stuff because I am learning by trial and error. Right now I am working on more complex scripts as I move forward. Everything in the repo works, and is put together at requests of friends and family with XBMC themselves. However, I certainly do not mind sharing, and if anyone else would like them, that is fine. They will be updated as I get deeper into this. Once again, I have started basic, and they are constantly evolving. Right now the working list (stuff that IS working] is:
Code:
Kiddo.TV
Smithsonian Channel
E! Entertainment
10 Second Traumas
FSO Channel
Sick Science Experiments
Yoga
Bob Dylan TV
EcoScraps Gardening
Be Fit
Kelsey Darragh
Terry Richardson TV
Trailer Park Boys
South Park
That's my starting point....once again, everything was requested and is constantly evolving.

feel free to download the repo to check it out if you want... and just shoot me a message or reply if you want to use anything. Everyone here is so kind, I wouldn't mind giving back if I possibly can.

Code:
https://github.com/bigorangekitty/STARMAN/raw/master/zips/repository.Outermatrix.net%20-Project%20STARMAN/repository.Outermatrix.net%20-Project%20STARMAN-1.4.zip
Thank you all again for the help :)

Update: I am pushing some updates to github

Last edited:
I've put off doing this for so--- long! First off, i got a question(s):

Q. ) As far as downloads and such matters does it even matter if you upload the folders when updating them as long as you got the /repo/ (/zip/) and /repository.name/ (if that's eve needed)? in other words, just how much of the files need uploaded. I ask cause i upload each project to a dif repo folder on github so its easy to fork a single project with-out all the others, and I don't see the purpose of keeping it uptodate in so many locations.

Q. ) Is it the repository.name-version.zip that I have people download and install-via-zip?

Q. ) Do I need to update respoitory.name-version.zip (and/or folder) every time I update any project.

Q. ) Do I need to update respoitory.name-version.zip (and/or folder) every time I add a new project.

Q. ) Has anyone thought of making an updated version of the generator? Since it already grabs the info to do the -version in the zip as well as python being able to do zipping now i beleive, wouldn't it be possible for us to have the generator.py handle the zipping as well?

Q. ) I might have had a blind moment as I'm currently very tired, but is there a exe for python in the xbmc \system\python\ folder or somewhere to use in running the .py generator, or how do most use it? I had gotten a iron python program installed a short while back so i tried putting a shortcut to 32bit and 64bit versions in my win7 Send-To folder and right clicking the .py and send-to'ing it to that and it seemed to work... though not sure what all libs it has setup in it for my wanting to have it handle the zipping and such lol.

Note. ) Cause I like leaving "notes", LoL. I'm sure I got more FAQ's about Repositories as I've put it off for so long cause of that. So any extra tips hints and suggestions would be welcomed, aspecially anything that simplifies things to the point of drag > drop > run > upload without any need to manually zip, rename, and such.

PS: ty for the Readme included in that .zip Mikey1234, it came in extremely useful when setting things up initially, though I'm using github instead of drop-box.

FYI using a GITHUB repo and trying Check for updates or Force Refresh on the repo (or at least on mine) with XBMC 13.x Gotham nightlies, it takes for ever doing the "Working..." spin-circle when I goto click to enter the Repository the next time. Seems like a awfully long time for one repo update. I'm still learning how to run a repo, with little guidance, so it's a real learning process. I'm not sure yet just what I need to do each time I either "update a single project", "add a new project", or whatever else there is to do. Takes some remembering to run the generator.py and upload the new .xml and .md5 (remembering to copy the folder over for new projects, lol), but after all that, trying both "Check for updates" and "Force refresh" seem to fail at updating the repo list as does restarting XBMC.

... and then I think I'm really loosing it, when I look over at xbmc and see what I've been looking for, for so long, be on the list out of the blue... wondering how long it's been sitting there on the list and I just didn't notice it. I so... need to get it clearified how those things work so I can get rid of a whole pile of stressing out MAJORLY each time i go to update the repo.