Small pc Small pc | Kodi Forums

Thread: Small pc

Small pc

What is your opinion on using a mini pc. Will it be better than the shield?

Team TV ADDONS Volunteer RavRob's Avatar
    I have had both. I prefer my shield to the Zotac I was using.

IMHO (unless you plan on using it for gaming) a standard Android device for half the price or even less will work just fine for streaming. A PC based device will also work, but I dislike Windows 10 on a HTPC because of all the "services" (Telemetry, forced updates, Superfetch, built in AV, etc.) that it likes to run that ties up all the processes just when you want to use it the most. So if you go this route then some Linux variety (possibly OpenElec) would do just fine.

If you stick with Android, prices and quality will vary. Of course how much you need to pay will also partially depend on the content you will be viewing. If you will be primarily watching 4k content on a 65in Sony OLED HDR TV, then you should probably get a higher end box with the RK3399 processor for around $100-$120. If you will be watching primarily 1080 content then the S912 processors will be overkill at $50-$70. If you are buying the box for the bedroom on a 32in 720p TV then any old cheap box will do just fine.

I also suggest NOT getting anything labeled as a "Fully loaded Kodi box". You don't really know what all they may have "loaded" it with. Some of it could be bad. Some of them do come with just a bare install of Kodi and those should be OK, but I would uninstall it and start over anyway.

Thanks. Your right, for the price a good android box is the way to go

Team TV ADDONS Volunteer RavRob's Avatar
    If you are in the US, have a look at the Mi Box at Walmar. It is priced at around $70 US. Once you have it setup, you won't be able to tell by the performance that it isn't a nVidia Shield. Off course there are some difference on the box itself such as a missing Ethernet Connection, meaning it will only work on WiFi, never hard wired. But if that is what you are looking for, it is an excellent box at less than half the price.